Sunday was a day of cleaning up and finishing stuff. I cleared out a bunch of pictures from the photo gallery on my computer. To get one decent picture you take quite a few and there were lots of redundant photos on my computer. So I erased ones I don't need and hope that I don't regret erasing them. I also fiddled around a bit and made a few more snails. Its interesting how different color combinations can completely change a pattern. I think the snail with the blue body is better than the brown I used in the last post. I plan on adding another twist to the pattern but haven't tried it out yet.
I've also spent the last few weeks obsessed with a particular motif in tatting. In my head I call it a dagger because its made of a series of rings and chains that get smaller until it comes to a point. I was working on a pattern before Christmas that involved this motif but lost the doily and thread somewhere between Ottawa and Campbellford. I worry that it fell out of my car. Last weekend I started playing with it again and ended up with these hearts and a square doily that's slowly forming. The heart at the top is done in Tat's Kool's mango chocolate. I love the shading in this thread from brown to yellow, unfortunately that doesn't show up in the picture. The 2 a the bottom and the square doily are done in Lady Shuttlemaker's (Sherry Pence) silk thread. I lucked out this week because Sherry sent some thread as a Thank-you for some thing I sent for Picadilly. Sherry was too generous and I feel like I should send a thank-you for the thank-you.
I'm going to use Sherry's thread to continue a few more rounds. I've had to stop and take a break because I was getting stiff but the doily is currently 61/2 inches. The nice thing about silk thread is its ability to slide which means decreased friction while tatting. You don't notice this until you go back to a cotton thread and then you feel the drag. I can tat more with the silk thread before my hands start to stiffen from overuse.