Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Squirrel! Moment

This is my squirrel moment yesterday.  I wanted to measure how much thread is needed for a motif I'm teaching at The Great Lakes Lace Guild in May. So I wound 6 yards of this great green thread from Karey Solomon on the shuttle CTM with the ball of thread. I made the first ring and then went to stir a pot of soup.
I came back, got distracted organizing some other tatting stuff and realized that I needed to finish a completely different motif.  The green thread on the shuttle matched so I pick it up and started tatting.  I was on the second ring before it hit me I was using the 6 yards shuttle!  D'oh!
I debated retro tatting then decided to forge ahead.  The motif I actually finished (not the one I originally started) is for some kits I donate to the fundraiser at the Finger Lakes Tatting Seminar.  So if your planning to attend bring a dollar for the kit.  I'm calling the project the rose bud snowflake (pic below).  You can't see from the picture but there is a diamond shaped gem in the middle.  Inspired by Diane's ice drops.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Split Chain Question

I'm a huge fan of split chains but I know others don't feel the same.  I like to use them as a design element but it brings up an interesting question- is it still a split chain if there is no split? 
If you look at the example below you can see that there are chains linking to the center ring.  Would you consider these split chains? And what about the ones made on shuttle 2 thread? I think of them as split chains because I still attach to a vsp and then tat back to the main line of tatting.  Just curious as to people's thinking on what makes a split chain.
Did I mention that I really like split chains?

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Finally done!

I have finally finished what has seemed to be everlasting project!  These 4 doilies are for my business partner's (Sal) aunt in England.  They are for her to use in celebration of their spiritial leader's (the Aga Khan) diamond jubilee.  You can't see in the picture but I used preciosa crystals in the center and around the outside edge. 
I had some issues because I ordered thread that didn't come in time.  When I realised this was going to happen I adapted the original plan.  I changed the size of thread so I had less tatting to get to a certain size in a short period of time and used a readily available thread from the local yarn store.  The result is softer than Lizbeth thread but seems to suit the project.  Unfortunately I've developed at wicked case of tendonitis in my forearms.  I'm not sure but I think the higher quality Lizbeth thread would not have cased such a severe problem. 
I used Renulek's Spring Napkin 2015 as the base design and added a row of beaded mignonette tatting  around the outside. The final row is beads only.  I sewed 6mm and 3mm preciosa crystals into the center.